Ampleforth had a Quaker settlement on the edge of the village, in Shallowdale to the west. The 16th century Carr House Farm was occupied by flax workers to weave flax into linen.
In 1693 a Meeting House with a burial ground was built in Carr Close (now Westwood Lane) on land leased from William Stead. The majority of local friends came from Helmsley, but the Meeting also included the parishes of Coxwold, Kilburn and Scawton. By 1743 only two of the 59 families in Ampleforth were Quaker. The Meeting changed its name to Helmsley in 1797 and by 1803 was meeting in Helmsley.
The Meeting House was demolished in 1808. Its remains and the burial ground are adjacent to Snake Villa on Westwood Lane.